Camogie‎ > ‎

U 12's off to a winning start!

posted 6 Apr 2015, 21:35 by Rosie Twohig
Under 12 were away to Ballinhassig on 01/04/15 at 7 pm, it was our first game of the season and all the girls were bursting to get going.

The first half Banteer played against the wind and it was a half of fierce defending, with the sliotar spending most of time in there own half, when small relief came a sudden burst was made into Ballinhassig end and strike by Aoife O'Neill had us roaring with delight for it to be disallowed referee stating it went into the side netting.  So after a pulsating 25 minutes both sides remained scoreless at half time.

Banteer made two changes at half swapping the centre forward Elizabeth Philpott for centre field Shannon O'Shaughnessy, taking Michelle O'Keeffe off after a blistering performance to play our sub Ciara O'Regan in left wing back position.  And so the second half begun, with the first puck out of the half, Ballinhassig were able to drive the ball towards their centre field and their number 8 struck a lovely shot to score a point, this was going to be a low scoring match so every score after this was priceless.

Heather O'Connor, the Banteer goal keeper was able to drive the sliotar further helped by the wind and she made contact with Elizabeth Philpott on numerous occasions Banteer were able to get the sliotar into the forwards with great ease and it was Banteer's turn to put the pressure on Ballinhassig and they now had to do some amazing defending, but Banteer, eventually broke down the defence and Molly Kirwan struck a beautiful shot that ended in the back of the Ballinhassig net, the sliotar went up and down the field, Ballinhassig stricking sliotar after sliotar at the Banteer goals but all shots ending up wide and being cleared.  It was tight two points between the sides it was anybodies game.  Up stepped Banteer, goalkeeper to centre field, again it driven down to the forwards there was mud and grass going everywhere, and eventually Ciara Philpott stepped up and drove another one into the goals for Banteer.  Ballinhassig tried in vain to close the gap but the Banteer defence proved too strong and the match finished Banteer 2 goals Ballinhassig 1 point.