Match Reports

First Round win for Banteer

posted 1 May 2017, 03:05 by BanteerLyre GAA

Junior A Hurling Championship
Banteer 2-12
Tullylease 0-11

It was a slow start in Newmarket as both defences held their ground. Tullylease had two points on the board by the time Banteer knocked over their first after 10 minutes. It wasn't long before Banteer made a real impact on the scoreboard with two goals in quick concession from Brian O' Keeffe and Denis Roche. Banteer kept the pressure on Tullylease. Points from Kevin Tarrant, Tadghy Sexton and Denis Roche meant Banteer had a 5 point lead going into halftime. Banteer lead 2-06 to 0-07.

Tullylease came out in the second half and put in a huge performance to bring it back to two points. Banteer struggled to get scores up on the scoreboard again with a string of wides. Tullylease missed a few opportunities from frees which cost them the chance to level it up. Banteer made one last push and more points from Kevin Tarrant and Colm Coughlan gave Banteer more of a cushion but more importantly the win.

Back door route for Lyre

posted 11 Apr 2017, 02:55 by BanteerLyre GAA

Junior A Football Championship Round One
Lyre 0-06
Boherbue 1-15

Both sides wanted to put down a marker for this years Championship and both sides confident they could do so. It was Boherbue who showed that with a good start scoring 3 points within the first six minutes and after the 8th minute they put the ball in the back of the net. It wasn't till the 10th minute that Lyre got on the scoreboard with a free from Timmie Murphy. Boherbue were relentless and Lyre could not find the answer to stop them. Barry Murphy added a second point for Lyre but Boherbue had 1-10 on the scoreboard going into halftime.

Lyre had a massive task ahead of them going into the second half. This half seemed to be a lot more competitive compared to the first, with Lyre holding Boherbue better. Time was running out and Lyre weren't making a big impact on the scoreboard. Scores from Kevin Tarrant and Barry Murphy cancelled out Boherbue's scores. But as the whistle blew, Boher got the win and Lyre are headed for the back door.

Lyre and Castlemagner share the spoils

posted 3 Apr 2017, 06:36 by Fergus Murphy

Ducon Cup Round 2

Castlemagner 1-06

Lyre 0-09

      Sunday morning, Lyre played their second round of the 2017 Ducon Cup away to Castlemagner. Weather conditions were ideal, but the pitch was heavy. The game started intensely and the pace reflected the fact that Championship is just around the corner for both teams. Castle struck first blood with a goal but Lyre responded sharply with four unanswered points from Fergus Murphy, Barry Murphy and Timmie Murphy.

    Great ball handling and fielding through the centre of the field from Damien Kearney, Kevin Tarrant and James McAuliffe proved to be essential for Lyre to hold possession. The intensity continued with the teams exchanging scores until half time with the score at the break being 1-04 to 6 points in favour of Castle.

    Lyre came out in the second half and started sharply with Barry Murphy scoring the point of the game evading a number of tackles before striking the ball over from distance. Scores proved more difficult to come by in the second half. Castle equalized before Lyre took the lead with a clinical finish from Denis Roche with just moments left. Castle fielded the restart and managed to break through for a point with the last kick of the game to ensure that the spoils were shared.


Lyre struggle against St. Johns

posted 26 Mar 2017, 09:00 by BanteerLyre GAA   [ updated 26 Mar 2017, 09:01 ]

Lyre 0-06
St. Johns 0-11

The weather couldn't have been better for this Junior B showdown between Lyre and St. Johns. First game of the year and both teams wanted a winning start.

St. Johns shot out of the gates with early chances but couldn't convert. Lyre couldn't seem to stop the runs in the first few minutes but eventually they settled and started to create chances of their own. St. Johns worked the ball well and it resulted in points. Lyre broke through the St. Johns defence several times resulting in scores by Emmett Buckley and Timmie Murphy to level things going into halftime. 

Lyre 0-04; St. Johns 0-04

It was all to play for in the second half but with sun beaming down meant the game started to get heated and St. Johns used this and took advantage scoring multiple points. Lyre did their best to come back into it but it wasn't going their way and with the time running out things were looking bleak for Lyre. Two great scores from Barry Murphy in quick concession gave Lyre a small bit of hope but St. Johns replied with scores of their own and push it back to 5 point game. St. Johns claimed the win on a scoreline of 0-11 to 0-06.

Banteer win first game of the year in impressive fashion!

posted 19 Mar 2017, 10:38 by Fergus Murphy   [ updated 19 Mar 2017, 10:40 ]

Banteer 3-15
Freemount 0-18

Banteer played their first junior A hurling game of 2017 against Freemount in the Twohigs Supervalu Junior A Hurling League. Despite the weather being less than favourable for hurling, conditions under foot were impeccable in Banteer allowing the game to flow very well, with both teams consistently scoring throughout the game. 
        The game started brightly with an exchange of scores, with Banteer playing in to a strong headwind playing very good hurling. Kevin Tarrant enforced Banteer's early dominance by finding the net and after 15 minutes Banteer lead by 1-04 to 5 points. Freemount dug in and tried to take advantage of the wind and began to rack points up, but Banteer responded well and the teams were level at half time with the score at 1-7 to 10 points at the interval. 
        As the second half started Banteer found a rhythm and through driving rain began to rack up points . Solid defending from the full back line and impressive handling through the centre of the field with Banteer fully utilising the strong wind, moving the ball quickly. With ten minutes gone in the second half Banteer led 1-12 to Freemount's 11 points. 
        Eventually Banteer's efforts were rewarded with goals in quick succession from Damien Kearney and Denis Roche, making life much more comfortable. With ten minutes left to play the home side led 3-12 to 13 points. Points from Kevin Barry and Tadhgh Sexton kept Freemount at bay despite a late surge of points. In the end Banteer ran out deserved victors in a good game on a score line of 3-15 to 18 points. 

U21 B Football Championship Semi-Final

posted 18 Mar 2017, 14:40 by Emmett Buckley   [ updated 18 Mar 2017, 14:44 ]

Lyre v Croke Rovers

U21 B Football Championship Semi-Final

17th of March 2017

Lyre were coming into this game after a strong win against St. Peter’s but could they repeat the performance again.

Croke Rovers had a blistering start putting 1-01 within the first two minutes. Lyre struck back with 2 points but Croke Rovers were awarded a penalty soon after and now had a 5 point lead after thirteen minutes. A strong wind meant long passing was difficult and caused a lot of turnovers for both sides. Lyre managed to pull the deficit back going into half-time with points from Barry Murphy, Luke Philpott and Kevin Barry. Croke Rovers went into the break with a 2 point lead.

Lyre 0-06; Croke Rovers 2-02

The weather didn’t improve going into the second half but both teams got familiar with it and kept to the short passing. It was score for score after 38 minutes but it was in the 48th minute that Croke Rovers drove on and tried to  put the game to an end with another goal. Lyre couldn’t seem to stop the Croke Rover counter attack and with that they kept adding on scores. Lyre had left everything on the field but it wasn’t good enough and Croke Rovers finished the game as comfortable winners.

Lyre 0-08; Croke Rovers 3-09

Lyre open U21 campaign with a great victory

posted 12 Mar 2017, 11:40 by Fergus Murphy

Lyre 0-12 
St. Peter's 1-07

Lyre began their U21BFC yesterday with a fantastic team performance earning them a hard fought win in Rockchapel against St. Peters, refereed by Denis Hickey. Conditions were perfect for football. A well drilled Lyre handled the ball intelligently through the middle 8, with some fantastic scores to clinch a victory against what was a tough St. Peter's team. 

The game started slowly, but once Darren Murphy opened the Lyre scoring with a crafty point the team gained confidence and led 3 points to 1 after 20 minutes. Lyre continued strongly for the rest of the first half ending it on a scoreline of 0-6 to 0-3 in favor of Lyre. Standout performances through the middle of the field from Barry Murphy and Cathal O'Donoghue setting up scores for Luke Philpott and Evan O'Brien as well as knocking over scores themselves. 

Rockchapel came out the sharper for the second half and scored a goal from the thrown in, followed by two points in two minutes to lead 1-05 to 6 points. Brave goalkeeping from Aaron Shine kept Lyre in the game, making a number of point blank saves in the second half. Lyre regathered their composure holding possession well through Colm Coughlan, Cormac Cotter and Billy Murphy in the half back line. Points from O'Donoghue and Murphy and meant Lyre did not let St. Peter's get out of reach at any stage, but Lyre found themselves down 1-07 to 8 points with just 8 minutes remaining. From this point Lyre's defence kept their discipline and didn't allow St. Peter's in for any more scores. Lyre's older players showed their experience and held their nerve for the closing stages, scoring 4 unanswered points deservedly taking the win on a scoreline of 1-07 to 0-12.

Lyre Lose Out Despite Battling Hard

posted 14 Aug 2016, 01:34 by BanteerLyre GAA

Third meeting of these two sides already this year set it up to be a mouth-watering encounter. It didn’t take long for the scores to come from both sides, the biggest in the first 5 minutes. High ball in from David Murphy to Conor O’Keeffe who got on the end of it and the game got its first goal. The score 1-01 to 2 points. Things took a turn for Lyre as Martin Kearney saw red and Lyre were down to 14 men. Lyre stepped up and knocked over 3 points coming from Damien Kearney, Timmie and David Murphy. David McAuliffe pulled off a great save to keep Lyre in front. Knocknagree pulled back a goal back before halftime. Lyre went into halftime with a one point advantage.

Lyre 1-07; Knocknagree 1-06

Lyre started with opening score but Knocknagree kept coming back. They took the lead in the 40th minute but Lyre fought hard to get it back. Knocknagree had a two point lead going into the final minute. Lyre on top of Knocknagree goal had a penalty shout but the ref blew the final whistle, frustration for Lyre as their campaign finished/

Lyre 1-10; Knocknagree 1-12

First Half Blitz Good enough for Banteer

posted 11 Jul 2016, 11:12 by BanteerLyre GAA

Banteer V Castlemagner

Banteer proved too strong for defending champions Castlemagner when the sides in the latest round of the JAHC. It was banteer who held control right from the very starting racing into a 4 point lead with good scores from Eamon O’ Flynn and David Murphy. Banteer kept on the forward foot, with a goal from Denis Roche and a David McAuliffe point saw Banteer ahead 1-10 to 0-01 after 15 minutes. Tadghy Sexton found the back of the net on 22 minutes which with the aid of a few more points saw Banteer lead at half time 2-12 to 0-03.

On the resumption the sides traded points, and a David McAuliffe goal 5 minutes into the second half put the game beyond the opponents. From here the sides traded points and a Castlemagner goal did follow, but in all reality the gar was too great to close and Banteer tan out comfortable winners 3-22 to 1-10.

Team; K. Roche, B. O@ Keeffe, C. O’ Keeffe, C. Coughlan, J. Sexton, M. Kearney, J. Twohig, D. Kearney, B. Weathers, D. Murphy, K. Tarrant, E. O Flynn, D. McAuliffe,  D. Roche, T. Sexton. Subs J. McAuliffe, T Fitzgerald, B. Murphy.

Ducon Cup Final

posted 10 Jul 2016, 05:04 by BanteerLyre GAA

Lyre going for their first ever Ducon Cup while Boherbue were going for the three in a row, which made it a mouth-watering encounter. Boherbue had a dream start with a goal in the first minute. Lyre re-focused and worked the ball up the field to score a goal for themselves, Jamie Sexton the one putting the ball in the net. Lyre didn’t stop there scoring four points, three coming from David Murphy and one from Denis Roche. Boherbue knocked over a few and one more from David Murphy meant the score going into the half was Lyre 1-05; Boherbue 1-04.
Timmie Murphy knocked over the first point of the half, but Boherbue worked hard to level things up in the 47 th minute. Lyre fell into difficulty with the sending off of Damien Kearney. Timmie Murphy added to the Lyre score line to give them the lead. It got worse for Lyre as they went down to thirteen men as Timmie Murphy was sent to the side-line. In the 58 the minute Boherbue got the ball into the Lyre net to give them a two point lead and the Ducon Cup as the whistle blew it finished Lyre 1-07; Boherbue 2-06.

1-10 of 69