Match Reports‎ > ‎

Freemount out muscle Banteer to advance to Final

posted 26 May 2013, 14:48 by Unknown user
The 2013 Kanturk Credit Union sponsored Duhallow Junior Hurling League will see new champions inscribed upon its cup after Banteer suffered a very disappointing extra time defeat to Freemount in a very low scoring encounter at Kilbrin on Saturday evening last, thus ending the opportunity for Banteer to win three league titles in a row. 
Played in ideal conditions Banteer started brightly with two David Murphy frees before a brilliantly taken goal by Freemount full forward Michael Murphy gave the men in maroon a narrow lead inside 10 mins. With Denis Mannix & Paul Cremin battling bravely for possession around the centre of the field for the 2011 & 2012 league holders. The game was end to end & very much dominated by both defences with the backs completely dominating their oppisite numbers. Although Freemount did hit a purple patch, grabbing four points from the 12th to the 19th minute allowing the margin increase further, with a Kevin Tarrant point being our lone score in that spell & with 20 mins. elapsed Banteer trailed 1-4 to 0-3. All of the offensive pressure that had came to nought in the opening third for the lads in red & white was actually now being turned into scores with David Murphy (3) & Eamon O' Flynn seeing the teams go in level at the short whistle. 
Again as what had transpired in the opening 30 minutes actually came to pass in the 2nd half. So Banteer regained the lead through a David Murphy pointed free, before Freemount equalised again before Kevin Tarrant (after being well set up by David McAuliffe) & Murphy put Banteer ahead 0-10 to 1-5 coming into the last ten minutes. 
The first 20 minutes of this half saw only 4 points scored between both sides, this in itself tells its own story really, be it the general standard of hurling, but more specifically the offensive play especially. Anyhow, Freemount clawed their way back into this match & retook the lead with four pointed frees to lead 1-9 to 0-11 with time almost up. Yet there was actually enough time for one last piece of drama & with Denis Mannix fouled exactly on the centre field area whilst initiating one final attack, upped stepped David Murphy again to point the all important free & bring the tie into extra time.
Freemount started this half much the brighter, bringing a superior hunger & work rate to the play, scoring four unanswered points before Murphy hit a pointed free for Banteer to leave the holders trailing 1-13 to 0-13 at half time in extra time.
The turn around saw the margin narrowed again, through a cleverly struck point from 2nd half substitute Kevin Barry. Murphy would add one more point but a steely & extremely determined Freemount were not to be undone & so the full time in extra time score finished up 1-15 to 0-15. Team: K Roche, D Dennehy, J Twohig, B O' Keeffe, Richard O' Connor, Brendan Withers, S Mannix, D Mannix, P Cremin, D Murphy, E O' Flynn, D McAuliffe, K Tarrant, Sean Twomey & D Buckley. Subs used: T Fitzgerald, K McGeough, K Barry & Derry Long.